Thursday, October 22, 2015

Fried Sage Potatoes with Basted Farm Eggs

I love fresh sage. It reminds my of my Aunt Fairy who grew it outside and used it all year. I grow it outside myself now and use it all year. I love going out early in the morning and picking a few leaves and using it in breakfast. She would put it in fresh ground pork (that she and Uncle George raised) and make sausage. I don't do that but I did put it in fried potatoes this morning and served it with a basted farm egg. It was SO good! So, here's the recipe for you. It's simple, it's quick, it's healthy, it's from the earth. Give it a try. I think you'll like it. Aunt Fairy approved!!

FRIED SAGE POTATOES with BASTED FARM EGGS

(SERVES ONE)

1 medium organic potato sliced thinly (using a mandolin slicer makes it much easier to get them really thin)
1/4 small organic onion sliced thinly
3 fresh organic sage leaves, chopped or snipped into small pieces
1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Fry the potato and the onion until lightly brown. Toss in the sage leaves after chopping or snipping into small pieces. Cook until the potatoes and onions are as brown as you like. Sage will cook quickly and will burn if cooked too long. Salt and pepper to taste.

Basted Egg

Using a small skillet with a lid, bring about 1/2 cup of water to a simmer. Place the (hopefully) locally pasture raised organic farm egg (or eggs) in the water and put the lid on and cook at a simmer until it's a done as you like your eggs. Salt and pepper and serve with the potatoes and some sliced tomatoes if you like. I liked, so I did and they were good!! Happy breakfast! Or lunch, or supper for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment