Thursday, September 10, 2015

Organic Wheat and Sunflower Seed Bread and in defense of...BREAD



I love bread! BUT I don't eat bread unless I make it myself. Is that over the top? Maybe, but maybe not. Commercially prepared bread is processed (the earth didn't make that!), has no naturally occurring nutrients and is loaded with chemicals and refined sugars depending on what kind you buy. I do know that if I eat processed food, including bread, it sets me up for craving. I want to avoid that because I don't want to fight thinking about food 24 hours a day until I go through withdrawal and the processed food I ate that set me up is out of my system. I also know that if I eat processed bread I begin to have gut issues beginning with an almost immediate cramping sensation. I used to think perhaps it was gluten. Now I think it may not be gluten but it may be something that's in the processed bread. So, I make my own. And, since I only eat the bread I make myself, I don't eat a lot of bread. Therefore when I do take the time to make it I want it to be something I'm going to enjoy. This past weekend I made this...


ORGANIC WHEAT
AND SUNFLOWER SEED BREAD

Makes one loaf

1 cup of warm (100 - 110 degrees) filtered water
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp honey
3 cups of organic stone ground wheat flour
1/8 - 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, toasted (use less or more seeds depending on how seedy you want your bread)
1/2 tsp salt

Dissolve the yeast and honey in the warm water and let it set until the yeast begins to bubble (about 5 minutes).
Add the flour, sunflower seeds and salt. Stir until it's all incorporated enough that you need to use your hands to work it in well. Turn it onto a floured board and knead, using additional flour if necessary, until it's an elastic ball and not sticky (around 8 minutes should do it).

Put the dough into a large oiled bowl, flip the dough over so it's oiled on top and cover with plastic or a clean, dry dish towel. Let rise for a couple of hours in a warm place until double. Punch it down and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Shape it into a loaf and place it into an oiled loaf pan and let rise again until it's at least double and loaf shaped. Bake in a 350 degree oven for around 35 minutes until it's nicely browned and makes a hollow sound when you tap it. Let it cool on a rack and take it out of the pan. Or, better yet take it out of the pan while it's still hot and spread some REAL butter on it and maybe a little honey. Your own bread - doesn't get much better.

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this one. I just need to get to a store to buy the ingredients. I will let you know how I make out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Granny J. Do let me know how this turns out for you!

      Delete