Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Oatcake with Cherries and Nutmeg


A slightly different version of a pancake with half of it being oats, this is a "stick to your ribs" kind of pancake. When I was about 6, or so, my great aunt used to fix oatmeal for me for breakfast and I really didn't like it! She would tell me I needed to eat it because it would stick to my ribs! That made it even worse because I could picture that gray sticky stuff stuck to my ribs inside of my tummy all day long! But, since then I've grown to appreciate oats, even to like them. Therefore, in memory of my Great Aunt Fairy (yep, Aunt Fairy), an oatcake topped with cherries. And I always have loved cherries, so that's no chore and they can stick to my ribs (along with the oats) if they want to.


OATCAKE WITH CHERRIES
AND NUTMEG

Makes one oatcake.

Oatcake

2 tbl organic flour
2 tbl old fashioned organic oats
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
dash of salt
1/4 cup filtered water

Stir all ingredients and cook on a griddle like you would a regular pancake.

Cherries for the top

1 cup sweet red cherries (frozen works fine)
1 tsp natural arrowroot
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp honey

Mix together and microwave for 45 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 45 seconds. Let set until it begins to cool and spread it over the oatcake. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment