Monday, November 9, 2015

Crab and Apple Soup with Curry


I have a confession to make. Last week I was running late and was just totally unprepared. I didn't bring lunch and I went to a franchise restaurant and got a bowl of soup. I haven't had commercially prepared soup in at least a year. I could taste every single chemical in that soup and after being away from it, it was pretty awful. Not only was it made from processed ingredients, I felt like I was eating a chemistry experiment. I didn't follow my own rule of IF THE EARTH DIDN'T MAKE IT, DON'T EAT IT! I know better. So, not again! Plus, I love making my own soup. When I grow up I want to be a soup chef!! I can picture myself making it in a huge cauldron over an open fire dancing around and stirring it with an oar! Soup for all!! Or perhaps maybe I should just stick to a soup pot on the stove in the kitchen. Less scary for any observers. Anyway, yesterday I found a recipe in one of those old fashioned things called a cook book. It had actual pages and was written on paper! The one that I found was quite different and when I saw the ingredient combination (crab AND apple), along with curry, I thought that's got to be pretty strange. Well, I put it together putting my own spin on it and it's DELICIOUS! The apple blends in very nicely and along with the curry adding a little heat, you get the additional health benefits from the curry. Don't be afraid to try it.
 

CRAB AND APPLE SOUP WITH CURRY

1 T coconut oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 T curry powder
1 apple peeled, cored and finely chopped (I used a Granny Smith)
1/4 cup arrowroot
4 cups of chicken broth
6 ounces crab
1 1/2 T pimento
1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
1/2 cup white cooking wine
toasted sunflower seeds and feta cheese for garnish

Cook the onion and garlic in the coconut oil until the onion is translucent. Stir in the curry powder, the apple and the arrowroot and cook until the apple is beginning the get tender (3 to 5 minutes). Add the remaining ingredients (except the cashew milk and the wine) and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the cashew milk and the white wine and bring to a simmer. Top with toasted sunflower seeds and feta cheese. This soup COULD be used as a fancy dinner starter. But you can also bring it to work with you for lunch. Is it noon yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment